Monday 6 January 2014

My Hair Goals in 2014

So, seeing as we are now a few days into the New Year, I thought I might try and really look at what it is I want to focus on in 2014 when it comes to my hair...


No more heat!

I've never had a relaxer or had anything permanently done to alter my curls -- something which I am forever grateful to my mum for, but growing up with curly hair has always been a challenge. So I turned to hair straighteners. I thought they were the ideal solution -- I never thought to protect my hair from heat, instead choosing to put in various gels and creams because the result was 'straighter hair'. I've probably straightened my hair on and off since I was 12 years old, and even as I got older and started using products to protect my hair from heat, it was still damaging my hair. I came to realise that I was only really straightening my hair for other people - to fit in with my friends and their straight tresses, and to fit in with what was considered 'pretty'. I'd cringe any time a 'frizz-ease' advert came on tv, and immediately rush to straighten my bush of curly hair. 
Now, it's a little different. Since the middle of 2012, I vowed to stop using as much heat. I'm still obsessed with length, and having it straight would convince me that it was growing...I know, silly logic. I've still straightened my hair right up until the end of 2013, but the funny thing is each time I did it I missed my curls. So I think it's time to officially give up the straightening - my goal is to go an entire year without straightening. Not once! Let's see....

Protective styles!

Now I've finally trimmed away my damaged split ends, and my hair is healthier than it has been in ages, I need to look after it! So another of my goals is to properly protect my hair - not always have it down to battle against the cold and wind, and even in the warmer months, protect my ends. I'm also going to focus on being more consistent with wrapping my hair at night, something that I can easily miss out from being lazy. 

Healthy, from the inside out!

Ok, so this is an ongoing goal which I know I am really going to have to strive to maintain, not just for my hair but really just for my own overall health. The amount of times I've said to myself, I must really drink more water, and I just don't do it! Given that our hair neeeeds moisture, it's obvious that drinking the stuff is a good place to start, and I know the whole body will see the effects. *Reaches for a glass of water...* Add some more healthy veggies, nuts n' seeds, and foods containing vitamins known to promote hair growth, such as spinach,. The more balanced, varied and protein-rich your diet, the healthier your hair. And yourself!

So no proper New Years resolutions for me this year - I always break them, or forget about them around the March mark. Instead, I'm just going to focus on a few small things, and make 2014 a healthier one!

Stay curly,

Chloe


0 comments:

Post a Comment